Twenty women of various ages writhing about in skyscraper heels, sequined hats and feather boas whilst sipping champagne at regular intervals made for a couple of hours of giggle fuelled fun. We learned to pop, shimmy, bend and snap, floss with a feather boa and seductively remove a glove (among other useful tricks) all in the space of 90 minutes. Vunderbar!
By definition, Burlesque is a literary, dramatic or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious works, or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects.
The unexpected learning for me (after our initial embarrassment subsided) is the corset clad art of Burlesque is perfectly synchronised (who knew?!) with life - filled with comedy, satire, cabaret, circus and all things tease.
Here are "Tough Love's Pearls of Wisdom" from the land of nipple tassles and garters.
- Take your time, slow it down, look around, make eye contact, smile
- Rhythm is all important, your soundtrack sets the tone - choose wisely
- Maintain great posture - you'll look and feel your best
- Allow things to ruminate
- Retain a little mystery
- Red lipstick is a sure fire way to make a girl feel great
- Ooh-aah...Say it out loud and rejoice when things feel good
- Floss gently and regularly (your teeth, preferably sans feather boa)
- An enthusiastic shimmy really does make you feel good - try it, I dare you
“Ignore the critics… Only mediocrity is safe from ridicule. Dare to be different!”
Loving you, loving me...TLT x