Monday 16 July 2012

I ink, therefore I am.

Last night I had a dream that I got some ink.

My left shoulder featured a large and resplendent artwork featuring bursts of colour and light trailing up my back and into the atmosphere. The right showcased a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle surrounded by plump love hearts.

Tattoos are funny things. It seems people either love them or hate them.

Much to the dismay of my pa...
rents, I’ve always had a healthy appreciation for good ink. Now before the rain of judgement comes down on my folks, I should note that my Dad’s a ‘fraidy cat’ when it comes to needles so that’s him out and Mum simply doesn’t feel the need to advertise. Fair enough.

For me it’s straight forward. Some people like to draw, others like to write, sing, dance, make jewellery, style, play musical instruments and the list rolls on. Tattoos are no different. They are a form of art so should that be your preferred form of artistic, cultural, religious or other expression - power to you.

However unlike my guitar playing (actually, it’s more like white noise) or attempts to hit the high notes while showering - tattoos are permanent. There is no room for practise or improvement. It’s final. And until I feel SO passionately about something that I want it permanently etched into my skin, I’m reserving my commitment to ink for pen meeting paper.

Hopefully the folks will be proud of that.

Loving you, loving me...TLT x

PS. If anyone wants to put their Jung hat on and come back to me with a dream analysis on Stars vs. Ninjas, I welcome your comments.

PPS. Oh, and I’d love to see some pictures of your own ink or examples of body art you admire. Here are a few I like.





No comments:

Post a Comment